Director of College and Career Services
The Director of College and Career Services will be in charge of creating and implementing activities for high school youth and young adults such as academic support, job skills training, academic counseling, internships, summer youth employment programming, and SAT prep and college advisement. This position will also be responsible for outreach to high school aged youth in the community, as well as creating partnerships for opportunities for youth to enhance their exposure and ability to get into college and create a career path.
The Director of College and Career Services will be responsible for overseeing program activities and communicating with participants and partners to support youth development, career exploration, and workforce readiness.
- Directly supervise the Career Readiness Program Coordinator and The College Readiness Program coordinators and part-time Instructors.
- Oversight of programming primarily at Queens Technical High School and additional programming at P.S. 343, P.S. 19, I.S. 5, and Sunnyside Community Services’ Woodside Houses Community Center.
- Create and implement outreach plan to recruit older youth to engage in college and career readiness activities.
- Customize current agency college/career readiness curriculum to fit the need of each program site.
- Facilitate workshops that relate to career readiness, college readiness, leadership, and other related skill building content.
- Provide academic support and counseling to participants to encourage positive habits and behavior.
- Build partnerships with local businesses and organizations to create job placement and civic engagement opportunities for youth.
- Motivate and support participants in the attainment of career and education advancement opportunities.
- Develop individual career/education plans for participants.
- Develop meaningful relationships, track performance measures, maintain case notes, and update participant files regularly.
- Plan and facilitate literacy, educational, community service, and leadership activities.
- Provide a wide array of appropriate resources on careers, technical schools, apprenticeship, and training programs.
- Attend all relevant meetings, trainings, workshops, and outside events.
- Support various academic prep processes. Monitor students’ progress and provide support through academic enrichment workshops.
- Develop positive relationships with school counselors, parents, and employers.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, Master's degree preferred.
- Experience supervising and leading teams.
- Experience working with high school students. Experience working with children considered harder to reach or within at-risk communities desired.
- Experience leading career/college readiness programming.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to be proactive and work independently and collaboratively.
- High motivation and willingness to work as part of a team to promote successful outcomes for youth.
- Strong leadership, mentoring and team-building skills.
- Comfort with speaking to large groups of students/youth.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with youth.
- Excellent punctuality, attendance, and reliability is a must.
- Computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.)
Monday – Friday, 35 hours per week; occasional evenings or weekends may be required.
How To Apply
If you would like to join our team, please forward a cover letter and resume with subject line: Director of Career and College Readiness to Sheena Sukhraj at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Sunnyside Community Services
Sunnyside Community Services (SCS) is a multi-service, community-based organization providing a broad range of services to approximately 16,000 people of each year. Our services include pre-kindergarten and after-school programs; college prep and career programs for teens and young adults; supports for immigrants; a vibrant senior center, dedicated home care services, support and assistance for family caregivers, and social adult day program for people with cognitive and physical impairments.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in our ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves on an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community based.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Sunnyside Community Services
April 14, 2021