After-School Instructor – Part-Time
Reporting directly to the Program Director and Assistant Director, the After-School Instructor is primarily responsible for delivering activities, including tailoring the curriculum for different levels of instruction and developing lesson plans. The After-School Instructor will teach students in grades K–5.
This position will be a part of our Youth and Family Services at Sunnyside Community Services (SCS), which includes a pre-kindergarten program, after-school programs for elementary and middle school students, high school job readiness, career readiness, enrichment programming, and adult and immigrant services.
- In coordination with the Group Leader, supervise a group of K-5th grade students and provide for the safety and well-being of participants.
- Plan, develop, and implement age-appropriate activities, lesson plans, events and projects relevant to program theme that include presentations and visuals for participants in the areas of art, literacy, STEM, SEL, and physical fitness onsite and in-person.
- Submit lesson plans and presentations in a timely manner and meet necessary deadlines.
- Assist with Homework Help and track completion of participant assignments.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, homework completion, sign-in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, health checks, and cleaning logs as appropriate).
- Meet regularly with supervisor and other staff members to share best practices and address challenges.
- Attend essential workshops and mandated trainings.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, Department of Education, DYCD, and SCS expectations and regulations.
- Maintain the cleanliness of program space in accordance with CDC guidelines, and ensure program supplies are well organized and in good condition.
- Familiarity and comfortability with online platforms, including Zoom.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- High school diploma; some college coursework towards relevant degree preferred.
- Relevant experience working with youth with experience facilitating lessons for a group, lesson planning, and group management (training available).
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Must be available and willing to work in a hybrid model.
- This position begins as soon as possible. After-school staff are expected to be committed to the position until the end of the school year/summer camp in August.
School Year: Monday – Friday, 1:30 – 5 pm
Summer Camp: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 6 pm
Location: PS 150Q in Sunnyside, Queens
How To Apply
E-mail a cover letter and resume to Karina Robledo, Education Specialist at KRobledo@scsny.org. Please put “After-School Instructor” in the subject line.
About Sunnyside Community Services
Sunnyside Community Services (SCS) is a multi-service, community-based organization providing a broad range of services to approximately 16,000 people of each year. Our services include pre-kindergarten and after-school programs; college prep and career programs for teens and young adults; supports for immigrants; a vibrant senior center, dedicated home care services, support and assistance for family caregivers, and social adult day program for people with cognitive and physical impairments.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in our ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves on an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community based.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Sunnyside Community Services
April 19, 2021