Caregiver Support Specialist (Part-Time)
The social worker working under the title of Caregiver Support Specialist will be responsible for assessing and delivering services that meet the needs of individuals and families caring for someone living with Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia. The Caregiver Support Specialist will complete intakes, assessments, care plans, and enter timely case notes. They should be familiar with New York City’s network of service providers for individuals with Alzheimer's disease and their caregivers, which will enable them to connect caregivers to the services they require.
The Careguver Support Specialist should have experience in outreach and be able to identify community groups, professionals, and agencies throughout the city who may have an interest in services and may benefit from CARE NYC services. CARE NYC is a program that provides support services to persons caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia throughout the five boroughs. This position requires face-to-face visits, working in the office, and telecommuting.
This position is a temporary part-time position funded through December 31, 2021 with the potential for renewed funding in 2022.
- Conduct intake and assessment screening of caregivers, assess mental and physical health needs and supports, and ascertain financial eligibility for benefits, entitlements, and respite services.
- Perform home visits to caregivers to evaluate unmet needs.
- Collaborate with the caregiver to develop a plan of care.
- Implement constructive short and long-term interventions through counseling, education about caregiving supports, long-term planning, and assistance with benefits.
- Link caregivers to other service providers such as mental health, medical care, and financial management services as needed.
- Lead a support group, providing emotional support and psychoeducation about dementia.
- Work with the activities coordinator to host activities that promote caregiver emotional and physical well-being.
- Provide timely documentation and maintenance of client files and progress notes.
- Work as part of the team to support the needs of the program.
- Bachelor of Social Work with 3 – 5 years of experience working in a social service organization or equivalent. Or a Master of Social Work with two years of experience working in a social service organization or equivalent.
- Experience working with families, geriatric populations, social services, senior benefits, and client relations in a hospital setting preferred.
- Caregiver and/or Alzheimer’s experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel. Salesforce experience is preferred.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
How To Apply
Please forward a cover letter and resume with the subject line "Part-Time Caregiver Support Specialist" to Sheila Williams at email@example.com.
About Sunnyside Community Services
Sunnyside Community Services (SCS) is a multi-service, community-based organization providing a broad range of services to approximately 16,000 people of each year. Our services include pre-kindergarten and after-school programs; college prep and career programs for teens and young adults; supports for immigrants; a vibrant senior center, dedicated home care services, support and assistance for family caregivers, and social adult day program for people with cognitive and physical impairments.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in our ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves on an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community based.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
July 6, 2021