Enrichment and Academic Support Coach (Part-Time)
Sunnyside Community Services is hiring Enrichment and Academic Support Coaches for its Youth Futures High School program located at Queens Technical High School.
Sunnyside Community Services offers family-centered programming to community members throughout Queens. Our youth development continuum spans pre-K to college and services are offered to over 2,500 young people across seven campuses.
Reporting to the Director of Enrichment and Engagement at Queens Technical High School, the Enrichment and Academic Support Coach is responsible for creating an environment that will promote improvement in students’ academic achievement and personal growth. S/he will work collaboratively with other staff and external professionals to address the needs of program participants. Through integrated focus on academic services, socio-emotional support and opportunities, and improved student learning, stronger families and healthier communities will be developed.
This position will be a part of our Youth and Family Services offered at Sunnyside Community Services, which includes a pre-kindergarten program, after-school programs for elementary and middle school students, high school programming, as well as Adult and Immigrant Services.
- Provide tutoring and additional academic support to students.
- Provide 1:1 academic support as well as small group instruction.
- Track attendance and ensure engagement and participation of students enrolled in academic support activities.
- Plan and facilitate purposeful and engaging lesson plans to meet the academic concerns of students.
- Establish rapport with youth and provide mentoring, guidance, and overall direction for their academic progress.
- Submit regular program reports, attendance sheets, and complete other administrative duties as assigned.
- Meet regularly with teachers and staff to share progress, challenges, and best practices.
- Collaborate constructively with coworkers and communicate regularly with the Director of Enrichment and Engagement.
- Facilitate outreach and retention efforts, including creating/distributing marketing materials and registration forms, and conducting information sessions about program offerings.
- Provide timely submission of relevant program reports (attendance, student evaluation feedback, etc.).
- Provide student engagement both virtually and in person, as programming permits.
- Serve as a positive role model and uphold professional behavior.
- Assist with other after-school program initiatives, projects, and events as needed.
Competencies and Skills
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- High school diploma required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience working with high school students providing academic support and/or youth development activities.
- Proven track record of success with tutoring high school students.
- Excellent professionalism and rapport working with youth participants.
- Ability to work as an active and contributing team member, as well as the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work with diverse cultural, educational, social, and economic students and families.
- Proficient in data entry and in using MS Office Suite, Salesforce, and online platforms such as Zoom.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 15 – 20 hours per week, after-school hours (after 2:30 pm)
Compensation: $19 per hour
How to Apply
E-mail a cover letter and resume to Fabyan Roldan, Director of Enrichment and Engagement, at FRoldan@scsny.org. Please put “EA Support Coach” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
About Sunnyside Community Services
Sunnyside Community Services (SCS) is a multi-service, community-based organization providing a broad range of services to approximately 16,000 people of each year. Our services include pre-kindergarten and after-school programs; college prep and career programs for teens and young adults; supports for immigrants; a vibrant senior center, dedicated home care services, support and assistance for family caregivers, and social adult day program for people with cognitive and physical impairments.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in our ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves on an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community based.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Sunnyside Community Services
July 21, 2021