ESOL Instructor (Part-Time; Evening)
Evening (in-person) position available!
Reporting directly to the Assistant Director, ESOL, the Instructor will implement the ESOL program. The Instructor is responsible for delivering courses, tracking attendance, tailoring the curriculum for different levels of instruction, and developing lesson plans. The instructor also is responsible for tracking student achievement.
The Instructor must be an active member of the Adult and Immigrant Services team and demonstrate a strong commitment to the organization’s overall commitment to community building.
- Provide English language instruction to adults in a program operating three days per week (Tuesday – Thursday), 9 hours per week.
- Teach courses using a contextualized curriculum that is relevant to student life experiences such as parenting, health care, finances, and job development.
- Administer BEST Plus test as a pre-test and post-test to all students and report on achievement results.
Planning, Evaluation, and Referral
- Tailor the curriculum for each level of instruction to match student needs as reflected in pre-test scores on BEST Plus test.
- Develop daily lesson plans, provide instruction, evaluate academic progress of individual students on a scheduled basis, and track relevant data.
- Refer students to designated staff or partners for help with assessing career options, finding employment, applying for jobs, advancing their education, attaining legal immigrant status, and obtaining childcare.
Training and Development
- Attend mandatory professional development trainings and meet regularly with supervisor and other staff members to share best practices and address challenges.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Master’s degree in TESOL, with a minimum of three years of experience.
- Experience with BEST Plus test is desired, as is familiarity with additional language assessment tools.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain complete and accurate data, with keen attention to detail.
- Experience working with adult immigrant populations.
- Must be committed to providing services in a manner that is sensitive to the diverse cultures and backgrounds of participants.
Schedule: The instructor will teach in-person from 6 – 9 pm. An opportunity may be available to teach an additional class.
Session Dates: September 20 – December 1; January 10 – March 23; April 18 –June 22
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to Leslie Dugger, Assistant Director, ESOL, at LDugger@scsny.org. Please indicate preference for am or pm role in message, and use “ESOL Instructor” in the email subject line.
Please Note: If hired, SCS requires all employees to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in its ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves in an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community based.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer
Sunnyside Community Services
September 28, 2022