Reporting to the Community School Director at Queens Technical High School, the Academic Tutor is responsible for providing academic assistance to cohort of specified students on a one-on-one basis to help advance academic and social-emotional achievement. The Academic Tutor guides academic development through versatile study and organizational strategies that best suit the student’s individual needs. Through integrated focus on academic services, socio- emotional support, and improved student learning, we can make our community stronger.
This position will be part of our Youth and Family Services offered at Sunnyside Community Services, which includes a pre-kindergarten program, after-school programs for elementary and middle school students, high school job readiness, career readiness, and enrichment programming, as well as Adult and Immigrant Services.
- Provide 1:1 or group Math or ELA tutoring, homework help, and additional academic support to students who are English Language Learner’s (ELL) and or have Individualized Education Plans (IEP).
- Establish rapport with youth and provide mentoring, guidance and overall direction for their academic progress.
- Track attendance for students enrolled in academic support activities on Salesforce and other databases.
- Submit regular program reports, attendance sheets, and complete other administrative duties as assigned.
- Meet with teachers and staff to share progress, challenges, and best practices as needed.
- Mentor a caseload of 2-5 students.
- Collaborate constructively with coworkers and communicate regularly with the Community School Director.
- Serve as a positive role model and uphold professional behavior.
- Assist with other Sunnyside Youth Futures initiatives, projects, and events as needed.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Must be fully vaccinated.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- High school diploma required with some college acceptable; bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience working with High School students who are ELL and or have IEPs preferred.
- Experience providing tutoring in Math and ELA, as well as Regents prep.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
- Maintains professionalism working with high school students.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work with diverse cultural, educational, social and economic students and families.
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 20 hours a week (daytime hours); Aug 2023 – June 2024
Compensation: $25.00 per hour
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to Madeline Hatcher, Community School Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Community School Tutor” in the email subject line.
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply. Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Employer.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.