Reporting to the Director of Adult and Immigrant Services, the ActionNYC Immigration Navigator (Immigration Paralegal) will assist with the immigration legal program development and implementation. The Immigration Paralegal is primarily responsible for supporting the Immigration Attorney in order to provide legal assistance and information to participants and community members.
Since January 2021, in partnership with the Jacob A. Riis Neighborhood Settlement, Sunnyside Community Services has provided comprehensive immigration legal services with the support of a grant made possible by the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs.
Sunnyside Community Services’ (SCS) Adult and Immigrant Services delivers a wide range of services to immigrant individuals and families. Adult and Immigrant Services provides courses to adults who seek to improve their English language proficiency, assists individuals who experience financial emergencies, engages community members in civic and public health education, and advocates on behalf and alongside immigrants in Western Queens.
- Schedule and conduct intake appointments and immigration screenings with prospective clients who are seeking immigration legal assistance.
- Provide clients with up-to-date information and guidance on immigration policy changes.
- Work with the Immigration Attorney to assist immigrants with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) applications, including status adjustments, U.S. citizenship, family petitions, and other benefits.
- Assist clients with completing and gathering documents for USICS applications.
- Notify clients by phone, email, video conference, or mail about matters related to their case and conduct follow-up, as necessary.
- Perform administrative tasks including answering phones, faxing, photocopying, scanning, and mailing relevant documents and applications.
Planning, Tracking, Evaluation, and Referral
- Ensure 300 immigration screenings are conducted each year.
- Maintain up-to-date client data in LawLogix (legal database) and Salesforce (internal database).
- Monitor and evaluate client outcomes in accordance with program deliverables.
- Liaise with Immigration Paralegal at Riis Settlement for referrals and other resources.
- Collaborate with Immigration Attorney to plan and facilitate community presentations internally and externally.
- Conduct outreach for the immigration legal program including by phone, mail, or in-person interaction.
Training and Development
- Become accredited with the Department of Justice.
- Maintain awareness and understanding of all immigration law and policy changes.
- Attend mandatory trainings, internal meetings, and meeting with our partner, Riis Settlement.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required; additional languages preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of two years experiences in immigration legal services required.
- Broad knowledge of immigration law and procedures required.
- Other relevant degree and experience to be eligible to become accredited with the Department of Justice within six months of hire.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Productivity Suite.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain complete and accurate data, with keen attention to detail.
- Committed to providing service in a manner that is sensitive to people of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Annual Salary: $55,000
Job Classification: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Reports to: Director of Adult and Immigrant Services
SCS offers an Excellent Benefits Package:
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Flexible spending account and transit checks
- Employee Assistance Program
- 20 days of paid vacation and 12 paid sick days per year
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Six personal/floating days per year
- Life Insurance
- Long-term disability
How to Apply:
If you would like to join our team, please forward a cover letter and resume with subject line: ‘Immigration Paralegal’ to Jlopez@scsny.org, Johan Lopez, Director of Adult and Immigrant Services
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in its ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves in an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community-based.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer