Reporting directly to the Program Director and Assistant Director, the Adolescent Literacy Group Leader is primarily responsible for assisting in the implementation of academic lessons, tracking progress, and tailoring curriculum for different participant academic levels. This position will be a part of our Youth and Family Services offered at Sunnyside Community Services, which includes a pre-kindergarten program, after-school programs for elementary and middle school students, high school job readiness, career readiness, and enrichment programming and Adult and Immigrant Services.
- Assist in planning and facilitating purposeful and engaging lesson plans to meet the academic concerns of students alongside DOE teacher.
- Assist in tailoring the curriculum for each level of instruction to match student needs.
- Supervise a group of participants along with the instructor and DOE teacher to provide for the safety and well-being of participants.
- Meet regularly with teachers and staff to share progress, challenges, and best practices.
- Meet regularly with participants to discuss goals, progress, challenges, and action plans.
- Input monthly progress reports detailing participant goals and progress into DYCD Connect.
- Provide timely submission of relevant program reports (attendance, student evaluation feedback, etc.).
- Assist in leading small group instruction for participants with similar goals and challenges.
- Serve as a positive role model and uphold professional behavior.
- Prepare materials and examples in advance for student understanding during activities.
- Maintain the sanitization of program space and ensure program supplies are well organized, cleaned, and in good condition.
- Ensure that health and safety protocols/policies are maintained.
- Assist in the training and professional development of youth workers.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Bilingual English/ Spanish required.
- Must be available Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays during program hours (2:30 – 5:30 pm).
- High school diploma; some college of relevant degree preferred.
- Teaching/tutoring experience with a minimum of two years of experience in an after-school environment.
- Excellent professionalism and rapport working with youth participants.
- Ability to work as an active and contributing team member, as well as the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- This position begins after clearances and required online trainings are complete. After-school staff are expected to be committed to the position until the end of the school year in June.
Compensation: $16.00 – $17.00 per hour
Schedule: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays; 2:30 – 5:30 pm
Location: Sunnyside Campus at I.S. 5 in Elmhurst, NY 11373
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to Denise Aragon, Campus Director, at Daragon@scsny.org. Please indicate “Adolescent Literacy Group Leader” in the email subject line.
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.