Group Leaders oversee a group of children and are responsible for the overall care and safety of these participants. They are responsible for conducting age-appropriate activities alongside the group’s Instructors and assist the Instructors with activities such as STEM, dance, physical education, arts and crafts, and more. Group Leaders report directly to the Program Director.
This position is a part of our Youth and Family Services offered at Sunnyside Community Services, which includes a pre-kindergarten program, after-school programs for elementary and middle school students, high school job readiness, career readiness, and enrichment programming, and Adult and Immigrant Services.
- Supervise a group of K–5th grade children along with the Instructor and provide for the safety and wellbeing of the students.
- Maintain daily attendance, homework completion, and health check logs.
- Assist with age-appropriate lesson plans relevant to the program theme.
- Assist with presentations and visuals for participants.
- Assist Instructor with lesson plans and presentations.
- Assist with homework help and track completion of participant assignments.
- Assist with lesson/activity for the day; assist and engage participants and lead by example.
- Help prepare materials and examples in advance for student understanding during activities.
- Assist with planning and preparation of special events and projects.
- Meet regularly with supervisor and other staff members to share best practices and address challenges.
- Attend essential workshops and mandated training.
- Maintain the cleanliness of program space and ensure program supplies are well organized and in good condition.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- High school diploma required; some college of relevant degree preferred.
- Experience working with children in a school environment is preferred.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- After-school staff are expected to be committed to the position until the end of the school year in June.
Compensation: $16.00 – $17.00 per hour
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 2 – 5:45 pm, plus 13 preselected holidays (8 am – 6 pm)
Dates: Through June 30, 2024
Location: P.S. 150Q in Sunnyside, Queens
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to Lizzette Mejia-Gil, Program Director, at email@example.com. Please indicate “After-School Group Leader” in the email subject line.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in its ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves in an approach that is comprehensive, caring, and community based.
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law. All are encouraged to apply. Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Employer.
Sunnyside Community Services strives to address, explore, and educate all our stakeholders about the diversity of human experience and to advance and integrate racial equity and social justice into all organizational policies and programs. We believe that everyone, regardless of who they are or what they do for the organization, should feel equally involved and supported.
Sunnyside Community Services represents a commitment to considering the whole person and how systemic barriers and access to opportunities can affect well-being.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.