Reporting directly to the Program Director and Assistant Director, the After-School Instructor is responsible for delivering activities, including tailoring the curriculum for different levels of instruction and developing lesson plans. The Instructor should be proficient in a variety of areas such as literacy, STEAM, Arts & Crafts, and leadership.
This position will be a part of our Youth and Family Services Division offered at Sunnyside Community Services, which includes a pre-kindergarten program, after-school programs for elementary and middle school students, high school job readiness, career readiness, enrichment programming, and dadult and immigrant services.
- Supervise a group of participants along with the Group Leader and provide for the safety and well-being of participants.
- Provide homework help and track completion of participant assignments.
- Tailor the curriculum for each level of instruction to match student needs.
- Develop age-appropriate lesson plans to be submitted in a timely manner.
- Prepare materials and examples in advance for student understanding during activities.
- Assist with the planning and preparation of special events and projects.
- Meet regularly with supervisors and other staff members to share best practices and address challenges.
- Maintain the sanitization of program space and ensure program supplies are well organized, cleaned, and in good condition.
- Ensure health and safety protocols/policies are maintained.
- Assist in the training and professional development of Group Leaders and Youth Workers.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Must be available Monday – Friday during program hours (2:30 – 6 pm).
- Must follow all Covid-19 mandates including state/city mandated vaccination requirements.
- High school diploma required; some college of relevant degree preferred.
- Teaching experience with a minimum of two years’ experience in an after-school environment.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- This position begins after clearances are completed.
- After-school staff members are expected to be committed to the position until the end of the school year in June.
Compensation: $17.00 – $18.50 per hour
Schedule: Schedules may vary.
Location: Sunnyside Community Services Campus I.S.5, 50-40 Jacobus Street, Elmhurst, NY 11373
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to Denise Aragon, Campus Director, at DAragon@scsny.org. Please indicate “Afterschool Instructor” in the email subject line.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in its ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves in an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community based.
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.