The Manager – Business Development is responsible for managing the organization’s new business growth strategy through guiding and training the business development team to attract new business. The Business Manager must be a strong collaborator who can motivate people to succeed. The Business Manager will work with the Home Health Aide Training Program, Human Resources, and client service teams to improve cohesion and identify opportunities to increase the organization’s census. The role should be fully equipped to identify, engage, and nurture relationships both within the organization and with external groups, including community-based organizations, post and acute-care health organizations, certified home health agencies, managed long-term care plans, and other relevant stakeholders integral to growing SCS’s census.
- Manage current marketing strategy and recommend adjustments as necessary to support accomplishing the organization’s goals.
- Develop and deliver outreach activities/new referral sources to promote the agency’s growth.
- Build and nurture a network of referral relationships and create ongoing communications to assess the quality of the relationship.
- Participate in external marketing activities and provide training to the marketing outreach team to ensure that successes can be replicated.
- Identify home care-appropriate consumers via internal and external resources.
- Supervise marketing outreach staff, intake specialist, and Medicaid specialist to ensure their activities align with the established KPIs for their roles.
- Support the team and, where necessary, assist consumers and families in selecting appropriate partnering contracts and maintain communication to ensure successful enrollment followed by referral to the organization.
- Weekly meetings and monthly training and coaching sessions are executed to ensure staff skills are enhanced, feedback is gathered, and the marketing program is adjusted to support the department’s success.
- Partner with the Home Health Aide Training and recruitment teams to ensure the organization is building its pool of home care workers.
- Remain knowledgeable of the organization’s services and resources in the community and outreach agency’s service teams to build symbiotic relationships for the enhancement of care and to increase home care referrals.
- Collaborate with the Associate Executive Director of Home Care to achieve the KPIs of the role.
- Operate as an integral part of the home care leadership team working with Home Health Aide Training, recruitment, and client service teams to achieve the KPIs of the role.
- Maintain and coordinate the interdepartmental communication system regarding client services and retention.
- Act as a liaison between the programs to resolve client care issues through timely follow-up mechanisms and facilitate client-retention training, as necessary.
- Represent the agency at various events and venues to promote organization’s services.
- Participate in home care leadership and quality meetings to understand the successes and gaps in care and recommend options to enhance service quality outcomes.
- Responsible for staff performance management and provide regular verbal and written feedback, invoking the corrective action process, as needed.
- Recommend hiring, transferring, promoting, and terminating marketing and business development staff.
- Establish procedures to ensure the department’s objectives are met.
- Recommend changes in any area of operational activities of the departments for improved efficiency.
- Investigate and report any safety concerns identified by members directly to the Associate Executive Director of Home Care.
- Recommend training for team members.
- Identify cross-departmental activities that are misaligned and recommend remediation.
- Perform other responsibilities as required.
Standard of Performance
- Problem-solving attitude.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Good attention to sales goals and ability to meet monthly goals.
- Ability to communicate well with staff, customers, and referral partners.
- Ability to work well with diverse populations.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work well within the organizational structure.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
May encounter prolonged standing, walking, lifting supplies, stooping, and bending. The individual in this role must be able to lift at least 15 lbs. of equipment.
Office setting, local outreach in the community, and home visits to support referrals/clients in their enrollment process. Evening and weekend work is required to attend networking and community events.
Key Performance Indicators
This job is satisfactorily performed when the incumbent meets the targets set for the following:
- Manage each marketing outreach person to convert an average of 10 monthly censuses.
- Open new accounts that can minimally yield at least 10 new censuses per month.
- Support the Medicaid Specialist to convert a minimum of seven new Medicaid applications monthly.
- Facilitate the connection and onboarding of at least five monthly private-pay clients monthly.
- Identify and attend at least two network events weekly.
- Connect with at least five new strategic relationship prospects per week.
- Build at least five new strategic relationships per month.
- Execute at least a quarterly customer experience and retention training for the case management and the clinical team.
- Facilitate at least one biweekly meeting with the client service, training program, and Home Health Aide Training and HR teams to ensure alignment with case conversion and management.
- Support the execution of at least one client appreciation activity every six months.
- Lead the execution of quarterly staff and partner engagement activity.
- Execute annual appraisal for staff within the due date.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, health care management, social services, business health care management, or a related field; master’s degree preferred.
- At least three years of supervisory experience and three years of managerial experience.
- Four to seven years of experience marketing in community healthcare and home care marketing is preferred.
- At least two years working with or within the senior and disabled population; background/knowledge of Medicaid and other public programs, managed care plans, and private insurance.
- Able to serve low-income, disadvantaged, and hard-to-reach populations effectively.
- Highly motivated with a strong ability to drive census/revenue growth and develop business through managed and coordinated sales and marketing efforts.
- Ability to use standard office programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Zoom), in addition to preferred knowledge in Salesforce and HHA Exchange.
- Excellent customer relations, communications, team-building, and interpersonal skills.
- Bilingual a plus (English with Spanish, Russian, or French/Creole).
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Flexible spending account
- Training and development
- Employee Assistance Program
- 20 days of paid vacation and 12 paid sick days per year
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Six personal/floating days per year
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
Salary: $73,000 – $77,000 (Exempt)
Location: SCS currently operates on a hybrid work model with three days in the office and two days remote. SCS is located in Sunnyside, Queens, a convenient 10-minute subway ride from Grand Central.
How to Apply
If you would like to join our team, please forward a cover letter and resume with subject line “Manager – Business Development” to Melissa Vitale, Director of Human Resources, at Mvitale@scsny.org.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in its ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves in an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community based.
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Sunnyside Community Services strives to address, explore, and educate all our stakeholders about the diversity of the human experience and to advance and integrate racial equity and social justice into all organizational policies and programs. We believe that everyone, regardless of who they are or what they do for the organization, should feel equally involved and supported. SCS represents a commitment to considering the whole person and how systemic barriers and access to opportunities can affect well-being.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer