The Program Director oversees the daily operation of Sunnyside Community Service’s Adult Day Service (ADS) program. The Program Director will supervise staff, volunteers, and students; maintain all records/files; prepare required reports; conduct staff meetings; and work with families to coordinate care of the participant in the ADS program to enhance quality of life for both caregivers and participants. The person in this role is expected to have knowledge of NYC’s Department for the Aging and DOH standards for adult day services. To be considered for this position, you must have experience working with seniors who have Alzheimer’s/dementia.
- Create and contribute to the friendly, warm, and safe environment of the program.
- Respond to inquiry calls, market to referral sources, schedule marketing events such as open houses, and refer potential qualified participants to services and funding sources, as appropriate.
- Coordinate the admission process of all participants and ensure a smooth transition of all clients into the program.
- Coordinate family case conferences and ensure that a mutually beneficial discharge plan is established, based upon client/family and program needs for all clients.
- Supervise participant Activity of Daily Living skills, such as feeding, toilet transferring, and grooming.
- Review participant files for accuracy and maintain records and documentation necessary for ADS budgeting and program reporting.
- Maintain participant folders and updatesall participant information on an ongoing basis.
- Coordinate client care plans and initiate client care conferences, as appropriate.
- Observe, supervise, and document participation of all clients in the daily activities program.
- Ensure that feedback and progress reports of participants is provided to families on an ongoing basis and refer to or/conduct caregiver support groups, as scheduled.
- Provide orientation and training to staff, including drivers, volunteers, and students. Verify that all students and volunteers’ documentation is complete.
- Provide on-site supervision to the Program Coordinator, Program Aides, volunteers, and students.
- Coordinate ADS staffing schedules and meetings, conduct and, when appropriate, arrange for mandated in-service training, and update staff regarding client information on an ongoing basis.
- Coordinate services with contract providers of ADS program.
- Ensure that, for clients enrolled in an MLTC program, authorization is up-to-date and on file.
- Ensure program operates in compliance with regulatory agencies, i.e., DFTA, NYS DOH.
- Assist with the coordination of the transportation program for participants.
- Collaborate with the Fiscal Department to ensure that private monthly billing invoices and contracted providers are accurate.
- Connect family caregivers to resources within Sunnyside and the community.
- In conjunction with the AED of Home Care, keeps the Adult Day Services policy and procedure manual updated.
- Inform staff of any changes to policies and procedures and communicate client updates and needed information daily.
- Enter/supervise participant information being inputted into the computer.
- Establish a performance improvement plan that evaluates program operations which includes annual family satisfaction surveys.
- Attend and participate in in-service education, orientation training, and agency director’s meetings.
- Work with the Program Coordinator to order and maintain all equipment and supplies.
- Ensure that all staff are trained in CPR and meet all the requirements in maintaining a food handler’s permit
- Perform other duties as required.
- Three to five years administrative or management experience in the long-term care industry or in a congregate setting (i.e., nursing home, senior center, naturally occurring retirement community (NORC), or other community-based setting.
- Experience working with people with dementia.
- Degree in social work or a related social service field; licensure in therapeutic recreation is a plus.
- Knowledge of Department of Aging guidelines.
- Supervisory experience.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Strong marketing/networking skills to grow the program.
- Ability to create a warm, inviting, and fun place for ADS clients
Salary: $59,000 – $62,000
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Flexible spending account
- Training and development
- Employee Assistance Program
- 20 days of paid vacation and 12 paid sick days per year
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Six personal/floating days per year
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
SCS currently has a hybrid work model consisting of three days in the office and two days remote. SCS is conveniently located close to public transportation in Sunnyside, Queens (a 10-minute subway ride from Grand Central.)
How to Apply
If you would like to join our team, please forward a cover letter, resume and salary requirement with subject line “Program Director – Adult Day Services” to Melissa Vitale, Director of Human Resources, at Mvitale@scsny.org.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in its ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves in an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community based.
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Sunnyside Community Services strives to address, explore, and educate all our stakeholders about the diversity of the human experience and to advance and integrate racial equity and social justice into all organizational policies and programs. We believe that everyone, regardless of who they are or what they do for the organization, should feel equally involved and supported. SCS represents a commitment to considering the whole person and how systemic barriers and access to opportunities can affect well-being.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer