The Social Worker, working under the title of Caregiver Support Specialist (CSS), will be responsible for assessing and delivering services that meet the needs of individuals and families caring for someone living with Alzheimer’s Disease or some other form of dementia. We offer caregiver services in Queens and Brooklyn.
This position is for our Brooklyn location at SUNY Downstate Hospital. We are currently working via a hybrid model: three days onsite and two days remote.
The CSS will complete intakes, assessments, care plans, and enter case notes. The CSS should be familiar with New York City’s network of service providers for individuals with Alzheimer’s Disease and their caregivers, which will enable them to connect caregivers to the services they require. They should have experience in outreach and be able to identify community groups, professionals and agencies throughout the city who may have an interest in services and may benefit from caregiver services.
Sunnyside Community Services (SCS) is a multi-service, community-based organization providing a broad range of services to approximately 16,000 people each year. Our services include pre-kindergarten and after school programs; college prep and career programs for teens and young adults; supports for immigrants; a vibrant center for older adults, dedicated home care services, support and assistance for family caregivers, and a social adult day program for people with cognitive and physical impairments.
- Conduct intake and assessment screening of caregivers, assessing mental and physical health needs and supports, and financial eligibility for benefits, entitlements, and respite services.
- Perform home visits to caregivers to evaluate unmet needs.
- Collaborate with the caregiver to develop a plan of care and implement constructive short and long-term interventions through counseling, education about caregiving supports, long-term planning, and assistance with benefits.
- Link caregivers to other service providers such as mental health, medical care, and financial management services as needed.
- Lead a support group, providing emotional support and psychoeducation about dementia.
- Work with the program coordinator to host activities that promote caregiver emotional and physical well-being.
- Provide timely documentation and maintenance of client files and progress notes.
- Work as part of the team to support the needs of the program.
- Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Creole required.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work with 3–5 years of experience working in a social service organization or equivalent.
- Experience working with families, older adult populations, social services, benefits for older adults, and client relations in a hospital setting preferred.
- Strong preference for candidates with experience working with individuals with dementia or with caregivers.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel; Salesforce experience is preferred.
Job Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Senior Social Work Supervisor
Salary: $50,000 – $51,000
SCS offers an excellent benefits package:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution
- Flexible spending account and transit checks
- Employee Assistance Program
- 20 days of paid vacation and 12 paid sick days per year
- 12 paid holidays
- Five personal/floating days
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
How to Apply
If you would like to join our team, please forward a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Social Worker -– Caregiver Support” to Elizabeth Daniele at email@example.com.
We enrich lives and strengthen communities through services and engagement for individuals at all ages, beginning with those most in need.
Sunnyside Community Services envisions diverse, inclusive, and caring communities where all people thrive and reach their fullest potential. Please visit our website at: www.scsny.org
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Employer