Reporting to the Community School Director at Queens Technical High School, the Student Advisor is responsible for providing attendance and social-emotional supports to students who are identified as chronically absent (two or more days a month) from school. The Student Advisor will work collaboratively with parents/guardians, school staff, and other key stakeholders.
Through integrated focus on academic services, socio-emotional support, and improved student learning, we can make our community stronger. This position will be part of our Youth and Family Services offered at Sunnyside Community Services, which includes a pre-kindergarten program, after-school programs for elementary and middle school students, high school job readiness, career readiness, and enrichment programming, as well as Adult and Immigrant Services.
- Manage a caseload of 10–20 students that are matched with mentees for the school year. Mentees are high school students who have been chronically missing school, driven by a range of challenging circumstances.
- Outside of meetings, communicate regularly as needed, both one-on-one and in small groups, to check in with, and support, mentees.
- Celebrate improvements and progress and reinforce goals – plan events, give awards, use incentives, etc.
- Document all outreach through required databases and track students’ class attendance.
- Work with the Community School Director and other stakeholders to identify appropriate interventions and supports to support and engage their mentees.
- Communicate and connect with parents/guardians on a continual basis.
- Participate actively in team meetings to share and learn from best practices and report on trends.
- Co-facilitate student and parent groups/workshops.
- Assist with other Youth Futures initiatives, projects, outreach, and events as needed.
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Must be fully vaccinated
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- High school diploma required. Some college acceptable, Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience working with High School students
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective
- Maintains professionalism working with high school students
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work with diverse cultural, educational, social and economic students and families
Schedule: Seasonal Position: Monday-Friday, 20 hours a week; August 2023 – June 2024
Compensation: $25.00 per hour
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to Madeline Hatcher, Community School Director, at email@example.com. Please indicate “Student Advisor” in the email subject line.
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply. Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Employer.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.