We honored five of our volunteers for their selfless service with a special event that will include dinner, music, and an award ceremony.
Volunteers honored at the Volunteer Recognition Celebration included:
- Afnan Faiza – Afnan is a high school student who volunteers with SCS’ Center for Active Older Adults where she assists with special events, engages older adults in activities, and helps develop intergenerational programs, including helping to coordinate the Chess Club program between older adults and local high school students. Afnan lives in Sunnyside, Queens. Afnan was chosen as NY1’s New Yorker of the Week for the week of May 8, 2023. Watch the NY1 story here.
- Scott Krikawa – Scott has been volunteering with SCS since 2015. He helps escort participants with Alzheimer’s disease and other cognitive impairments from the SCS bus to the program space. Scott lives in Woodside, Queens.
- Michael Prager – Michael has volunteered with SCS for seven years, visiting a homebound older adult each week to provide friendship and help with his dog. Michael lives in Woodside, Queens.
- Marvin Ramirez – Marvin helps with events at the Center for Active Older Adults, where he is known to Center members as the resident DJ. He is a strong champion for older adults and has visited City Hall to advocate for budget increases to senior services. Marvin lives in Sunnyside, Queens. Marvin was chosen as NY1’s New Yorker of the Week for the week of June 19, 2023. Watch the NY1 segment here.
- Susan Keren Sheim – Susan works closely with SCS’ Volunteer Services team performing a range of administrative work including database management, tracking hours for volunteers, and general paperwork. Susan lives in Sunnyside, Queens.
The Volunteer Recognition Celebration coincided with National Volunteer Week, which honors volunteers and their service to help better their communities. National Volunteer Week was celebrated by the White House and organizations around the country.
We offer a number of volunteer opportunities including tutoring, assisting with older adult programs, visiting homebound older adults, and administrative support. If you would like to volunteer with us, please contact us at 718-784-6173 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.